Sunday, September 4, 2016

Get Over It (A Positive Spin)

So, the other night I was feeling kinda, you know, meh. A little bit on the not so great side of meh, really. And when that kind of thing happens, I'll either try to distract myself from it, which of course works so well until later, or I pray and read my Bible.

Okay, maybe it was a little bit more than just a little bit on the not so great side of meh.

I was kinda down. So, this time, I decided to pray and read my Bible. Well, I was praying, and not getting very much into it. Like, it was basically, "God, I feel messed up. I shouldn't really feel messed up, there are so many other people in the world who feel messed up that actually are, and here I am just being selfish and praying for myself, also there's my test and I'm just feeling so stressed out about it and I'm also supposed to be a leader and a role model and there're these people who're stressing me out and driving me insane and is it me or them and what can I do to help or should I just get outta the way am, I doing something wrong, please just HAAAALLLPPP" that kind of thing.

And I didn't really feel like I was getting anywhere. When I focus too much on myself, that tends to happen, and I end up feeling worse until I finally shut up and let God do some talking. So, I shut my mouth and opened up my Bible, and I saw the word 'Tiphsah'. The passage had something to do with Solomon and fighting and having peace from Tiphsah to some other place.

So, what does Tiphsah mean, anyways? I'm so glad you asked. I looked up the meaning 'cause, why not, and also, I like to understand what I'm reading and Hebrew names tend to have a specific meaning.

Tiphsah, according to Easton's Bible Dictionary via biblestudytools.com, means "passing over" or "ford," and the thought that hit me when I read that was, "God, are you really telling me to get over it?"

BTW, just so you know, I did pass that test I was freaking out about. So, hey, haha, God is good. :)

Anyways. Now, here's the funny thing about a 'ford.' It's literally a shallow place to cross over a river or stream.

You literally 'get over it'.

So, when someone tells you to get over it, we take it as a sarcastic comment. They don't get the pain we're going through. There is so much pressure around us, and they're just treating it like it's nothing and that we're being immature.

Truth is, we do need to get over it. The pain someone caused you? The pressure that's all around you? The depression you're going through? The loneliness and heartache? Think of all of those things that you need to get over. Now, think of them like a river that you have to cross. Or, better yet, a sea.

Sidenote: Did you know there are land bridges from Alaska to Russia? There used to be, anyway. Anyways.

The water's rushing over that path that you gotta take to get to the other side. It's slippery. It's wet. You might fall. Just sitting on your side of the river seems like the best choice, even though you know that, on the other side of the river, there's something so much greater for you.

The Children of Israel had to cross the Red Sea to be free from the Egyptians. There wasn't a way, but God made a way, and they took it. They also had to cross the Jordan River to get to the Promised Land, and God made a way, and they took that land.

There's a promise on the other side of your river. There's freedom on the other side of that sea. Are you willing to cross it? Are you willing to get over it?

'Cause, man, once you do, it's gonna be pretty stinkin' awesome. Oh, the battles you'll fight, the giants you'll slay, the promises you'll claim. All it takes is trusting in God, as you take one step, and then another, and then another, until you've finally made it to the other side.

So, my friend. Take this well-meaning, tryna-help piece of advice: Get over it. I believe in you. If there's one person who can do it, it's you. Cross that river. Cross that sea. What's waiting for you on the other side is better than anything you could dream of. And when there doesn't seem to be a way through that river or ocean, God will make a way. Trust me, He will make a way, just for you. :)

Love you guys. God bless! :)

--Sonya :) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update on Life in 2019

It's been a while and there's a reason for that (and that's also why I renamed this blog what I renamed it, HAH!). Drum roll, ...